This policy is a statement of the intent of the directors and shall apply to all operations and worksites managed by Thomson Trees Ltd:
- Notwithstanding the requirement for hazard identification and risk minimisation, wildlife and ecology local to our worksite shall not suffer harm as a result of ou undertakings. In particular we remain vigilant as to the presence of European protected species (EPS), bats and nesting birds.
- European protected species are covered by the followin legislations:
– The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981
– The Conservation (natural habitats regulations 1994) (amended 2010)
– Countryside and Rights of Way Act (CROW) 2000
- Prior to commencing work on site, a wildlife disturbance assessment is completed where there is deemed to be a risk of disturbing a protected species, the findings of which are kept on file.
- Where clashes occur between proposed works and wildlife we work within the guidance and policies of relevant governing bodies, seeking licencing and permission as applicable.
- Work methods are planned that reduce the environmental risk to a level which is as low as reasonably practicable.
- The company ensures that the working culture encourages constructive conservation.
- Appropriate advice is sought from qualified ecologists or other specialists if specific environmental interface issues are identified before, during or after operations.
- We are committed to complying with all applicable legal requirements.
In order to meet this commitment, Thomson Trees Ltd pursue the following objectives:
- To ensure compliance with all applicable wildlife and ecological legislation and guidance.
- Be prepared to deal with the demands of future legislative developments, by remaining informed of industry best practises.
- To ensure that the working culture encourages constructive conservation.
- To assist in the management of ecology.
- To identify and safeguard wildlife.
Employees are briefed and trained on wildlife and ecological practice in the field and clients are actively encouraged to take advantage of our commitment to constructive conservation.
This policy is communicated to all persons working for or on behalf of the company.